1y ago
470.03 KB
5 Pages
Last View : 16d ago
Last Download : 14d ago
Upload by : Isobel Thacker

HOW TO APPLY FOR A HACKNEYCARRIAGE/PRIVATE HIRE DRIVERS LICENCEIntroductionThe purpose of the licensing regime is to ensure the safety of the travelling public and that vehiclesused for this purpose are safe and comfortable; that drivers are safe and suitable and are courteousnot only to passengers but to other members of the public and other road users; and that licensingrules are observed. To achieve this, the Council set certain standards that all applicants have to meetand for existing drivers to maintain.Application FormsAll applications for the grant of a hackney carriage or private hire driver’s licence must be made on aPlymouth City Council application form available ivatehiredriverlicenceThe form should be completed in full and signed by the person making the application. Where this isnot possible it can be completed by another person provided the relevant section on the form iscompleted.Please note that an applicant should satisfactorily complete the application process within a maximumperiod of 6 months from the date of first application. If no contact is received for 6 months orinsufficient progress has been made towards the grant of a licence, then the application will becancelled and all paperwork destroyed with no repayment of fees.Before an application for a drivers licence can be approved, the individual must have passed the:a)b)c)d)e)MedicalSubmit a DBS and Certificate of Good Conduct (if required)Topographical Knowledge of Plymouth testDriving Standards TestSafeguarding TrainingThese pre-requisite tests are an essential part of the application process that ensures an applicant hasthe appropriate baseline skills to become a licensed driver. The licence application is not consideredto be completed until all of the above elements have been provided.May 2018OFFICIAL

Page 2 of 5

Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure CheckThe Council has a statutory duty to ensure that new applicants and existing licence holders are ‘safeand suitable’ to hold a licence and will consider any relevant convictions and/or motoringendorsements you may have.Applicants are therefore required to undertake an enhanced level DBS criminal record disclosure(where the applicant has resided in this country for more than 3 months) and at 3 yearly intervals.Where convictions are disclosed you may be referred to the Taxi Licensing Committee.Full details of how to apply can be found on our website at Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) will supply you with a certificate listing any convictions.When you have received this certificate you can arrange an appointment to show this document tothe Licensing Office and proceed with your application.The DBS must be no more than 3 months old at the date of application.Please refer to the Council’s Guidelines relating to the Relevance of Convictions and Conduct on ourwebsite wsCertificates of Good ConductIf you are a foreign national, or you are a UK national but have lived for a period of three months ormore in another Country, a Certificate of Good Conduct must be obtained from the relevant UKEmbassy or Consulate of the relevant country(s) where you have resided. This is in addition to anyrequirement to obtain a DBS certificate. The Certificate of Good Conduct must be obtained at theapplicant’s expense, be an original official document, officially sealed and translated into English.It is a legal requirement that all persons working in this country have a National Insurance numberissued from HM Revenue & Customs prior to working.If you have lived outside of the UK for a continuous period of 3 months or more since the age of 18you must obtain a certificate of good conduct from the country or countries that you have lived in.The certificate must be less than 3 months old at the date of the application.However, if you are unable to provide a certificate of good conduct due to there being no process forobtaining criminal record certificates from the home country authorities (as set out in Home Officeguidance), and you have lived in the UK from the age of 18 years and have been resident here for 5continuous years you will be exempt from provision of this certificate.For further details about how to apply for criminal record checks overseas, please iminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicantsProof of right to work in the UKAs of 1 December 2016 all councils are required to confirm, before issuing a new licence or renewingan existing licence that the applicant has the right to work in the UK. Under NO Circumstances willany applicant who cannot meet this requirement be granted a licence. The documents required toprove your right to work in the UK differ based on your current citizenship. Please see the‘Identification documents’ information sheet on our website.If you are unable to present the documents required email us at [email protected] there may be other documents you can present to meet the Immigration Act 2016 requirementsPage 3 of 5

Making an ApplicationWhen you have completed the application form, please contact the Taxi Licensing desk on 01752304141 to arrange an appointment. It is reasonable to expect an appointment within 5 working daysof your telephone call.When you attend your appointment, you must bring the following forms and means of identification.All documents must be original, in good condition and will be returned to you after the completion ofthe appointment: Fully completed driver’s licence application formYour DVLA driver’s licence which must have full entitlement to drive motorcars for atleast 12 months.DBS Certificate and Certificate of Good Conduct (if applicable) Proof of right to work in the UK Completed medical (this may be produced at a later date prior to the issue of yourlicence)The application fee - please see If the application form is completed incorrectly or the documents required for the application areeither not provided, incomplete or not correct, your application will not be accepted.Spoken English AssessmentIf you are a foreign national you will be expected to make the application yourself and to be able tohave a conversation with the clerk on all aspects relating to your application. If the clerk has anyconcerns regarding your ability to understand or speak English, a Taxi Enforcement Officer will gothrough the Spoken English Assessment Test Procedure. Please refer Spoken English assessment test procedure.pdfKnowledge of Plymouth TestEach applicant has to successfully pass a written Knowledge of Plymouth test that assesses yourknowledge of the driving between set routes by the quickest available route; venues, touristdestinations, and popular locations; law and conditions of licence; and customer care. Thisexamination will take place under supervised exam conditions in the training room at Unit 4aDerriford Business Park. Please see our website for further iving Standards TestEach applicant has to successfully pass a driving test to demonstrate that they are a competent andsafe driver. This test is carried out on behalf of the Council by an appointed driving examiner andcomprises of a practical driving standard test, questions on customer care, the highway-code and basicmechanical principles. A fee is payable in advance of taking the test (please Full details of the pass requirements can be found on ourwebsite at Drivers intending to drive Special EventVehicles will be required to pass the driving standards test in that type of vehicle.Safeguarding CourseEach applicant needs to attend a two hour awareness workshop. Applicants are advised to book ontothis workshop during their initial appointment for an application. It is important that you book on toa session as soon as possible as these are usually only delivered every two months. Only our bespokeworkshops relating to the taxi trade will be accepted unless prior agreement is made.Driving LicencesBy law you must have held a full driving licence for at least 12 months prior to applying for a licenceto drive a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle, entitling you to drive motor cars. BeforePage 4 of 5

accepting any application for a licence, you must ensure that the driving licence has your currentaddress and is free from defects.Drivers QualificationsThe Council requires all new drivers to complete a relevant qualification (BTEC Level 2/VRQ awardin “Transporting Passengers by Taxi and Private Hire” or equivalent qualification) and the PlymouthAmbassadors Course within 12 months of being issued their first licence all costs incurred are theresponsibility of the applicant. Failure to comply is likely to lead to your licence not being renewed.Licensing OfficePublic Protection ServicePlymouth City CouncilWindsor HousePlymouthPL6 5UFT: 01752 304141E: kPage 5 of 5

Application Forms All applications for the grant of a hackney carriage or private hire driver’s licence must be made on a Plymouth City Council application form available at: . to drive a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle, entitling you to drive motor cars. Before . Page 5 of 5